True Digital partnered With Wizeline to Enable Netflix Subscriptions for its Users
- True Digital Group worked with Wizeline in its attempt to expand its services into the internet video-on-demand segment and satellite TV business.
- Wizeline developed a middleware service for TrueID, True Digital Group’s flagship consumer application, where TrueID users can subscribe and manage their Netflix subscription.
- The service is now functional and available to True users in Thailand as of September 2020.
About True Digital Group and TrueID
True Digital Group is one of the core businesses of True Group, Thailand’s fully integrated telecommunications and digital service provider. Aiming to become the ultimate digital enabler in Southeast Asia, True Digital Group continuously expands its ecosystem to deliver a portfolio of high-quality digital services to customers. True Digital Group’s key businesses include digital media, O2O and privilege, data analytics, IoT and digital solutions, as well as True Digital Academy.
In the consumer market, True Digital Group aims to enable digital lifestyle through its flagship application TrueID, which develops on top of an innovative digital media platform. TrueID offers consumers a wide variety of content, including live TV, sports, movies, music, news, and other lifestyle-related content. TrueID also offers chat, voice, and video communication services within the application. In the first quarter of 2020, TrueID was the top downloaded application in the entertainment category for Android and iOS in Thailand, with monthly video views of 4.2 billion views and has reached its highest video on demand (VOD) views, 36.9 million.
At the end of 2019, True Digital Group approached Wizeline to help them develop a solution that will enable their TrueID user base in Thailand to subscribe to the services provided by the popular streaming giant, Netflix. The need was not only to build a robust solution but also to deliver it within two quarters.
Wizeline proposed to build a middleware layer that would allow TrueID users to subscribe to Netflix through TrueID offerings and manage their Netflix subscription.
True Digital Group wanted to consolidate the presence of TrueID and TrueID TV, its Set-Top Box (STB), in the market by offering premium (such as Netflix) content subscription to its users. The challenge was to leverage the Netflix Partner Payment Program that enables customers to sign up for Netflix with Partner’s method of payment (MOP).
Other challenges that were anticipated included:
- Checking user eligibility
- Following NETFLIX SLAs
- Mapping responses from TrueID with NETFLIX specification
- Different B2B, customer, and internal gateways for different consumers
- Performing E2E testing on NETFLIX Sandbox and Production environment.
Most of Wizeline’s engineers are a part of the company’s product development practice. This includes engineers focused on frontend, backend, full-stack, and mobile development in both iOS & Android, Data Engineering, Data Science, DevOps automation, and Cloud Management.
In short, Wizeline has the capabilities, talent, and knowledge needed to complete any and all projects our clients need assistance with.
The optimal solution was to build an entire middleware layer for payment integration between Netflix and TrueID. This middleware layer is responsible for:
- Checking user eligibility
- Processing Netflix charges
- Managing fraudulent subscribers
- Communicating with the Netflix backend
This middleware layer contains all the business logic related to TrueID TV-Netflix integration and is implemented as REST APIs that interact with the set-top box, TrueID TV’s internal components, and Netflix.
This product was successfully released after 4 months of development work at the end of September 2020. Feedback from the product teams and end-users has been positive.
- Steady and regular increase on frictionless subscription journey.
- API-first and cloud-native design help quickly bridge Netflix and True Digital platforms.
Wizeline and True Digital will continue to collaborate on future development.
Wizeline is a software development and design services company with operations in the U.S., Mexico, Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, and Spain. Wizeline partners with global enterprises and scaling startups to build end-to-end digital products. If you’d like to learn more, please visit www.wizeline.com or check out more case studies.